|African Forum for Agricultural Advisory Services (AFAAS) vacancy for procurement officer
|Closing date: 13 April 2013
|5 April 2013
The African Forum for Agricultural Advisory Services (AFAAS) is the umbrella organisation for Agricultural Extension and Advisory Services (AEAS) in Africa. Its objective is to create efficient, effective and synergistic linkages and partnerships between AEAS of member countries to improve the delivery of these services to farmers. It operates within the framework of the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP), specifically CAADP Pillar IV which has the objective of enhancing the livelihoods of African farmers and pastoralists. The Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA) has been mandated to lead the implementation of CAADP Pillar 4. In this context AFAAS operates under the umbrella of FARA but has its own autonomy and governance structure.
The day-to-day running of AFAAS affairs is managed on behalf of the Board by the Secretariat that has already been established in Uganda, headed by the Executive Director. The AFAAS Management is seeking applications from highly qualified, experienced and competent African nationals to fill the position of Procurement Officer.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Qualification Required and Experience:
- Analyze purchase requests from the user departments and determine the appropriate method of procurement, Quotation, Tender and Request for Proposals. Provide assistance to user departments, when required, in preparation of specifications, Terms of Reference etc.
- Coordinate the preparation of the procurement documents, utilizing sound sustainable procurement practices, while adhering to corporate policies and government legislation prior to issuing public tender
- Schedule, organize and facilitate Job-Site and/or Pre-Bid meetings related to Quotations, Tenders and Proposals. Attend and preside over public openings of Tenders, Proposals and Quotations
- Conduct an in-depth analysis of all bids received in response to each Tender, Proposal and Quotation to identify the response that best meets the needs of the user department which is consistent with the terms and conditions of AFAAS's procurement policy. Prepare recommendation for award. Provide supplier debriefing sessions, when requested, with unsuccessful respondents
- Preparation of contracts and tender awards, preparation of sub grant agreements, Memoranda of Understanding with various partners
- Prepare contract with vendor and maintain contract after award, monitoring vendor performance and ensuring that all documents are kept current and complete. Confer with suppliers regarding delivery, quality, etc. to ensure that the requirements are met
- Contribute to the development and formulation of purchasing procedures and practices as required
- Participate in the annual reporting process for legislative requirements, including monitoring and tracking AFAAS procurement plan and carrying out annual physical inventory process
- Perform audits of Procurement purchases to identify problem areas and/ or high usage commodities where pricing agreements may benefit the organization. Perform audit and analysis of vendor payment runs for inconsistencies with established buying practices, while maintaining confidentiality of vendor information protected under Privacy Legislation.
- Perform other related duties as may be assigned
- A university degree in administration, commerce, law, engineering or equivalent. Membership of any chartered procurement body will be an added advantage
- 7 years of experience in designing and implementing procurement processes, demonstrating evidence of achieving results and graduation to responsible positions
- Excellent communication, people management, and writing skills
- Prior experience in dealing with procurements on World Bank, United Nations or other Multilateral International Financial Institution supported public sector project would be an added advantage
- Good understanding of Government of Uganda and World Bank procedures. A thorough knowledge of Uganda's public procurement rules is key
- Should have an in-depth understanding of procurement cycle management
- Excellent command on MS Office, written and oral fluency in English, Kiswahili and French
- Strong familiarity with the country context, familiarity with government structures, operations and procedures
The position is full time and based at the AFAAS Secretariat in Kampala, Uganda. The successful candidate will be offered a 32 months contract with a possibility of renewal based on performance and availability of funding.
Applications with a cover letter and comprehensive curriculum vitae, together with the names, addresses, telephone numbers of three referees should be addressed to the Executive Director-AFAAS, AFAAS Secretariat, Plot 22A Nakasero Road; Kampala, Uganda.
mail: email@example.com copied to firstname.lastname@example.org
Full details of job specification and requirements can be obtained from our website: www.afaas-africa.org. Applications shall be accepted up to 13th of April 2013.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.