The Food, Agriculture and Natural Resources Policy Analysis Network (FANRPAN) is inviting applications for a socio-economics post-doctoral fellowship within the Diversifying Agriculture for Balanced Nutrition through Fruits and Vegetables in Multi-storey Cropping Systems (NutriHAF) project.
FANRPAN (www.fanrpan.org) is a multi-stakeholder and multi-national food and nutrition security policy research, and advocacy network that is coordinated from South Africa but with a mandate to work Africa-wide. The Network promotes effective Food, Agriculture and Natural Resources (FANR) policies by: (i) facilitating linkages and partnerships between government and civil society, (ii) building the capacity for policy analysis and policy dialogue in Africa, and (iii) supporting demand-driven policy research and analysis.
The NutriHAF project seeks to explore and integrate appropriate vegetable crops into multi-storey cropping systems to increase nutrition security, diversify and intensify agriculture while conserving the environment. NutriHAF will use gender-sensitive participatory action research to address the needs and preferences of poor male and female smallholders in Ethiopia to adopt healthy living. NutriHAF will identify how (indigenous) vegetable production in multi-storey cropping systems combined with relevant capacity building can help to increase and diversify the nutrition and livelihoods of poor male and female smallholders. NutriHAF, in which FANRPAN is an implementing partner, is led by the Center for Development Research (ZEF), University of Bonn, Germany is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture. In addition, 14 other organizations in Germany and Africa are collaborators.
This post-doctoral (postdoc) opportunity is aimed at supporting a recent PhD graduate of Ethiopian origin who wishes to undertake rigorous research in agriculture (food) and nutrition.The postdoc will perform the following specific tasks:
- Conduct ex-ante and qualitative analysis of the local farming systems, biodiversity use and socio-economic context as well as identification and priorization of possible horticultural crops;
- Conduct a mainly qualitative, gender-disaggregated analysis of the socio-economic context, value chain, food growing and consumption behaviour of households/farming families and consumers in the nearest market place;
- Conduct a quantitative gender-disaggregated socio-economic (intra-) household analysis, food growing and consumption behaviour;
- Identify best pathways for policy advocacy and support policy dialogues at local and regional level through targeted information and multi-stakeholder round-table forums;
- Scientific coordination of work package 1 dealing with ex-ante analysis of the local farming system, biodiversity use and socioeconomic context.
Candidates must fulfil the following criteria:
- Essential elements for consideration:
- Ethiopian national fully based in Ethiopia;
- PhD in Agricultural Economics or Agricultural Sciences or a related discipline;
- Knowledge of food, agriculture, nutrition security issues, and horticulture in the tropics, esp. multi-story cropping systems;
- Research experience in agriculture socio-economic analysis;
- Relevant publications in international peer-reviewed journals;
- Proven leadership and administrative skills, including excellent communication skills; and
- Excellent proficiency in oral and written English.
- Other elements which may be an advantage for the applicant:
- Work experience in Africa;
- Willingness to travel extensively;
- Interest and demonstrated ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multi-cultural environment; and
- Ability to work independently, efficiently and goal-oriented.
The successful applicant will develop their potential to become research scientists within a structured and mentored training environment of the NutriHAF project; and should note the following:
- Geographical focus: The research project will be carried out in Ethiopia; therefore the postdoc will be based in Ethiopia.
- Length of appointment: The position will be fixed-term for three years until March 2018.
- Remuneration: Support includes a stipend for three years (at Euros 1,000.00 per month gross pay which includes any social benefits and tax if applicable). The postdoc will be provided with a laptop and printer to facilitate their work. Research funds will also be available to cater for the postdocs travel and research materials.
Application deadline is 30th August 2015 or until the position is filled. For application, kindly send your application (cover letter incl. motivation, CV and statement of work experience, list of publications with two relevant articles attached, names and contacts of two referees) to Dr Tshilidzi Madzivhandila. Contact details are: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; and tel.: +27 12 804 2966. Same contact details should be used for requests for further information.
In keeping with the FANRPAN's policy regarding gender equity, female applicants are particularly encouraged to apply.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.