|Internship ARD policies and Climate Change within the Polices, Markets and ICTs (PMI) Programme
|Closing date: 17 October 2014
|29 September 2014
Acknowledgements: Published on CTA website
For more information access the CTA website: http://www.cta.int/en/article/2014-09-29/internship-ard-policies-a-climate-change-within-the-polices-markets-and-icts-pmi-programme.html
Title: Intern ARD policies & Climate Change (PMI programme)
Starting date: November/December 2014
Duration: 6 months (renewable once)
Location: Wageningen, the Netherlands
Closing date for application: 17 October 2014
1. ABOUT CTA
The Technical Centre for Agricultural and Rural Cooperation (CTA) is a joint international institution of the African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) Group of States and the European Union (EU). Its mission is to advance food and nutritional security, increase prosperity and encourage sound natural resource management in ACP countries.
It facilitates access to information and knowledge; supports evidence-based, multi-stakeholder development of agricultural policies and strategies; promotes inclusive value chain development and use of ICTs and strengthens the capacities of agricultural and rural development institutions and communities.
CTA operates under the framework of the Cotonou Agreement and is funded by the EU.
2. BACKGROUND AND MAIN PURPOSE OF THE INTERNSHIP
CTA has a vacant position for an intern within the Policies, Markets and ICTs (PMI) Programme.
CTA's mandate puts emphasis on facilitating access, exchange and dissemination of information in the fields of agriculture and rural development. The PMI Programme plays a critical role in the realization of the above.
The intern shall contribute technical and administrative support to new and ongoing project related activities, with special emphasis on climate smart agriculture policies, strengthening farmers' organizations and stakeholder groups in agricultural and rural development (ARD) policy processes.
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the Senior Programme Coordinator ARD Policy, and overall supervision of the PMI Programme Manager, the intern will carry out the following activities:
- Provide research support including literature review on a range of ARD policy topics including the nexus between climate smart agriculture, evidence-based policy making processes, inclusive multi-stakeholder policy processes, food security-environment-natural resources nexus, ARD policy reforms;
- Contribute technical and administrative support for CTA projects undertaken by the Senior Programme Coordinator ARD Policy, regarding technical studies & synthesis reports, workshops & conferences, write shops & meetings, learning events;
- Assist in the dissemination and administration of series of calls for proposals for projects;
- Liaise with partners and participants of CTA organized events to prepare feedbacks and summaries for monitoring outputs and outcomes;
- Promote the engagement of ACP professionals in regional and international discus on agriculture, food security, and climate change;
- Support the Senior Programme Coordinator in the establishment of baseline and data collection to monitor the delivery of new and ongoing projects;
- Perform other tasks as requested by the mentor.
4. ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Recent graduate, 29 years old maximum.
- National of one of the ACP or EU States signatory to the Cotonou Agreement (79 African, Caribbean and Pacific States – http://www.acp.int/content/secretariat-acp and the European Union Member States).
- Master's degree in agricultural economics, climate & environmental sciences, policy analysis, social sciences, rural development or any other related discipline.
- Good organization, inter-personal and communication skills.
- Good knowledge of one of the Centre's two working languages (French or English) and a satisfactory knowledge of the other.
Special consideration will be given to candidates who possess the following attributes:
- Knowledge of current policy debates and trends on climate change & agriculture;
- Good knowledge of statistics and/or statistical software (e.g. SAS, SPSS, STATA);
- Knowledge of social surveys and questionnaires;
- Analytical mind;
- Strong ICT skills.
- Participation in CTA activities will give you an invaluable experience at international level.
- Internship stipend (€ 1,000 per month for holder of a Master's degree).
- Payment of travel costs when joining and leaving the Centre.
- Medical coverage for emergency cases of sickness and accident during the internship.
6. HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are required to send the documents listed below via email to Pascal Deleu, Human Resources Officer. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate in the "Subject" of the email the title 'Application for Internship ARD Policy & Climate Change".
- A letter of motivation, maximum one page explaining (i) what qualities of the candidate best qualify him/her for the position, (ii) how the qualities can help contribute to CTA projects and to enable the candidate gain from the internship period, (iii) the earliest date of availability if successful;
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae, preferably in EUROPASS format;
- A copy of the highest degree and other training certificates related to the position. Original documents are to be presented once a candidate is selected.
- Two letters of recommendation and/or references.
Deadline for applications: 17 October 2014. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.