|IFPRI Vacancy Posting: Senior Research Fellow
|15 July 2013
(INTERNATIONALLY RECRUITED POSITION)TITLE: SENIOR RESEARCH FELLOW
DIVISION: CGIAR RESEARCH PROGRAM ON POLICIES, INSTITUTIONS, AND MARKETS
REPORTS TO: KAREN BROOKS, PIM DIRECTOR
LOCATION: WASHINGTON, DC,/p>
us flsa status: EXEMPT
POSTING DATE: JULY 12, 2013
CLOSING DATE: AUGUST 11, 2013
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a qualified candidate to fill the position of Senior Research Fellow for a two-year, fixed-term, exempt, renewable appointment for its CGIAR Research Program on Policies, Institutions, and Markets (PIM). This position will report to the PIM Director. The Senior Research Fellow will work with the Director in management of the PIM portfolio with special focus on review of quality of research products and monitoring impact. The Senior Research Fellow will also contribute directly to research efforts with particular emphasis on assessing impact and returns to research. The Senior Research Fellow will work with the Director in representing the PIM program to donors, clients, and partners and building constructive relationships with them.
The CGIAR Research Program on Policies, Institutions, and Markets works to facilitate identification and adoption of institutional and policy reforms that will contribute to improved agricultural performance, reduced rural poverty, and better management of natural resources. Led by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), PIM brings together CGIAR centers and multiple partners from the agricultural and development communities from around the world.
- In coordination with the Director, monitor completion of research work already in the portfolio and review quality.
- Oversee efforts to track applications of the research undertaken through PIM and to record and evaluate impacts achieved. Contribute to development of metrics to monitor progress of PIM and a system of measuring relevant indicators.
- Contribute to development of strategic directions for growth of the program.
- Contribute to development of key partnerships and relations with donors.
- Represent PIM in external fora as needed.
- Publishing research in peer-review publications as well as communicating research to the broader agricultural, economics, and development communities.
- Contributing to preparation of internal and external program reviews.
- PhD in agricultural economics, economics or quantitative social science
- 7+ years of post-PhD experience relevant to the job
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex research programs
- Demonstrated interest in applications of research and experience in tracking impact
- Demonstrated ability to critically assess own and others’ research
- Excellent publication record in peer-reviewed journals
- Demonstrated leadership in developing global research programs for policy recommendations
- Demonstrated experience in effective interactions in a multicultural and international development setting with other researchers and with policymakers, donors, and civil society, facilitating impact of research and capacity strengthening
- Major external recognition within peer professional network due to publications and other leaderships activities
- Willingness to travel extensively as required
- Excellent written and spoken English communication skills with demonstrated excellence in written and oral presentations
- Demonstrated leadership skills and strong experience building and managing teams
- Experience in leading and managing research and partnerships in developing countries
IFPRI is one of the international agricultural research institutes organized under the umbrella of the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). The mandate of IFPRI is to identify and analyze alternative national and international strategies and policies for meeting world food needs in ways that conserve the natural resource base, with emphasis on low income and on the poorer groups in the countries.
IFPRI offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits. IFPRI is an international and equal opportunity organization and believes that diversity of its staff contributes to excellence. We encourage women and developing country professionals to apply.
IFPRI employees: Please send cover letter & resume – via email – to Carla Tufano/Monica Dourado or in Human Resources.
External Candidates: Go to www.ifpri.org. Click on “Careers” and “Research Positions” to link you to Position # 13-185–Senior Research Fellow, PIM. Please complete on-line application, including a complete curriculum vitae and a detailed letter of interest. Also complete section providing 3 references.
For more information on IFPRI, please visit our website at www.ifpri.org