|Position of Leader of new ILRI programme on Livestock Systems and the Environment
|6 March 2013
ILRI vacancy: Research program leader – Livestock systems and the environment (open until filled)
Vacancy Number: PL/LSE/03/2013
Livestock Systems and the Environment (LSE)
Location: Nairobi, Kenya or Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Duration: 3 years with the possibility of renewal
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to enhance the roles livestock play in pathways out of poverty in developing countries. ILRI is a member of the CGIAR Consortium, a global research partnership of 15 centres working with many partners for a food-secure future. ILRI has two main campuses in East Africa and other hubs in East, West and Southern Africa and South, Southeast and East Asia. http://www.ilri.org.
CGIAR is a global agricultural research partnership for a food-secure future. Its science is carried out by 15 research centres that are members of the CGIAR Consortium in collaboration with hundreds of partner organizations. www.cgiar.org.
ILRI will recruit a senior scientist to lead its research program on Livestock Systems and the Environment (LSE), which contributes to the CGIAR Research Programs on Dryland Systems, Humid Tropics, Livestock and Fish, and Climate Change and Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS). The research analyses the interactions among livestock and plant systems and the environment at a range of scales, from global to local, including the positive and negative impacts of livestock systems on the environment. Current research includes work on adaptation to and mitigation of climate change, water use and nutrient cycling, and combines empirical and modeling approaches. The Program collaborates closely with other scientific and development groups within and outside the CGIAR.
The Program Leader will provide strategic leadership and management of the Program and develop its work in line with the strategies of ILRI and the CGIAR Research Programs. S/he will demonstrate the skills needed to lead teams and to obtain positive results in partnerships with national, regional and international institutions in research, extension, development and in public, private and civil society. As well as leading and managing the Livestock Systems and the Environment Program, the Program Leader will foster collaboration across a broader multidisciplinary team, spanning ILRI’s other research, within ILRI directorate for Integrated Sciences. The Team Leader will also be expected to lead efforts in mobilizing resources to support research, and contribute to capacity building and communication of research findings.
The successful candidate will have:
- A PhD in livestock science, natural resource management, ecology or other relevant discipline;
- A sound knowledge and at least 8-10 years of experience of research on livestock or plant science and the environment, preferably in the tropics;
- An analytical approach to scientific problems, with a proven record of developing and applying both quantitative approaches and participatory research methods across agro-ecosystems and scales;
- A broad understanding of livestock and environmental research for development issues;
- A strong publications record, as shown by the major publications indices;
- International recognition for knowledge in this area;
- Proven success in research leadership and management, mobilizing resources, managing finances, and developing partnerships;
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams and to work in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English and the ability to communicate with diverse audiences;
Position level: The position is senior scientist (Research Level 3) dependent on qualifications and experience.
Post location: The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya or Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Duration: 3 years with the possibility of renewal contingent upon individual performance and funding.
Terms of appointment: ILRI offers a competitive international and salary and benefits package which includes 15% Pension – Medical insurance – Life insurance –and allowances for: – Education – Housing – Relocation – Home leave – Annual holiday entitlement of 30 days + public holidays.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter, curriculum vitae, list of publications and the names and addresses (including telephone, fax and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. Applications should be sent to the Human Resources Office by email: ilri-PL-Livestocksystems@cgiar.org
The position title and reference number: REF: PL/LSE/03/2013 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the online application.
Closing date: Applications will be screened on receipt and the position will remain open until filled.
To find more about ILRI, visit our website at www.ilri.org